Thursday, February 03, 2011

At last...more on the journey

First, please excuse any and all typos. The shift, caps lock and enter keys are still confused.

I am, after all, happy to be online right now.

It has been quite a whirlwind since about 1-24-11 when life turned upside down in one evening at St.Thomas Hospital. I went from dragging my painful,swollen legs to the radio station to TJ and Rene taking me off to the ER. Tests were run and I was pronounced with advanced breast cancer. After a couple of days in the hospital, I was sent home with pain meds and plans to have some home health care complete with hospital bed and all.

but then, another day, more decisions and the next I knew I was in an ambulance being whisked off to Alive Hospital downtown where I was told I would be getting the kind of care I really need now. Life has been a bit uprooted and uncertain. No more working (though that job would have ended at month end anyhow) and no driving on pain pills.

Now on to the blessings.

The incredible outpouring of love and support from friends, church, music people, Facebook friends by way of calls, visits, cards, gifts, concerts(yes, in –room). All including a benefit show in Kingston Springs with about 25 acts playing. Go to my Facebook page for info on that.

The angels who have been in my life through it all: TJ and Rene Kirby first and foremost. Kimberly, Cathy and Jack, Sharon and the rest of you who know who you are.

The magnificent women and men of Alive Hospice. These are not glamour jobs. But these people are American heroes.

Now to address a comment or two. I do not accept man’s opinion of how much time I might have—only God decides that. I heard there was a comment of me having “limited days” left. That is NOT true –my vitals are very good right now and I feel pretty good overall. As for the radio show—TJ’s not about to let me go without a fight!

As long I am able to (health and tech wise) I will be blogging this journey. So stay tuned.

3 comments:

Beth Browne said...

Wendy, I am so proud of you my friend, for the way you take things in stride... Your beauty and grace shines through in your times of trials and tribulations.. You are so right about who determines when its our time to leave this life and continue on to the next, for our God is an awesome God and to Him goes all the glory! You are a shining example to everyone and I love you dearly!
Beth

River Jordan said...

Wendy,

Thank you for being so open, so honest and so beautiful. But why change now? It's who you are! You know I'm thinking of you and will be at the benefit with bells on and have been promoting.

Warmest thoughts, prayers, and blessings!

River

Diane Davis said...

Glad to see you're blogging again, and definitely happy to know you're not buying into someone else's opinion of you how long you're going to be with us. My best friend was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer back in 2004, and "given" a matter of weeks by the doctors...she told THEM they didn't know what they were talking about, she still had a reason to be here and she wasn't going anywhere until she was ready. She had several more good years with all of us before her journey ended, with lots of great times and memories. She lived the years that followed her diagnosis with intention, and with an incredibly positive mental outlook that I believe was responsible for her longevity, and I'm praying that your always sunny outlook will do the same for you. Hang in there - I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!