Friday, February 11, 2011

Better To Have and Not Need

When I moved to St. Paul in 1989, my first apartment was a renovated hotel room, much smaller than where I am now at Alive Hospice. It had two hot plates, a bed, a night stand and a table, and a TV that didn’t work half the time. But I was thrilled because it was my first place on my own. I was there for about six months until I found a better job and a bigger place. Then came the year long shipments of “care packages” and things from home sent by my dad.

Over the years in MN, I bounced back and forth from living in apartments and owning a home. When I arrived in Nashville, I first moved into an apartment, then
my own condo with finally an office space…which is where I’ve been until all this happened. Now I am back full circle in a smaller room here with only a fraction of my stuff. I spend a lot of time rotating things from table to table on each side of me as I need them.

Surprisingly though, one of the things I am realizing on this part of the journey is how many things really were true necessities and how much else you can make do with what you have or with reasonable substitutes. It makes you wonder how much of the life clutter you would really miss if you had to, and to what you could say “been there, did that” to if you needed to. I’m finding that out right now, and realizing that all the letting go isn’t a bad thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Wendy-- this really hits home to me! I have been pondering lately on the amount of 'clutter' in my life, both literal and figurative. How much space is being taken up, how much time is being taken up dealing with 'clutter' that I truly don't need? Why have I allowed it to accumulate? What am I trying to protect myself from/defend myself against by having so much stuff-- stuff to do, stuff to think about, stuff to decide, stuff that needs to be put away or put out of my life?

And yes, you ARE a writer. That's what you do, that's your gift. Thank you for continuing to use it.

You are loved,

Tori