Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Week 1 Continued...

So far, so great. I got my new loveseat sofa and it feels like one big pillow, just like my beloved old beat up St. Paul loveseat did. I also got my new drivers license (not a half bad picture either), emissions test for the car and new plate. If I hadn't thrown myself out of the way by missing a turn on the way back, I'd have had all this done in two hours time rather than three. This process covered three different places and things went very smoothly...so not an all-day wait like I feared.

When you are adjusting to a new environment and managing details, weird things can happen. Some people may remember on my original "Ponderings" blog the story of how I thought my car was stolen but I had put it in the wrong garage. I have a bonehead story for you that I think beats that one. I went out walking yesterday and all of a sudden I heard this continual buzzing tone everywhere I went. I thought it was something going off in the complex, so I took a walk outside the area. I still heard it. It was bugging me now, so I took a short drive. I still heard it. Now I started getting nervous that I had developed some sort of tinnitus or ear problem. Oh God, I thought, how could you bring me to Nashville to dig all the music and now have something go wrong with my hearing?

My friend called to check on me and told me to lie down and if it wasn't better, she would come get me. I decided to bring her over to take me to a change of scene, thinking that might help. When she arrived, she heard the ringing tone, too. She did all kinds of checks and told me to call the emergency maintenance to tell them something was wrong in the apartment. Then she walked closer to me and said "I hear it around you." I had my purse nearby. I dumped it out and we discovered the culprit was my pocket key light alarm which got moved to the alarm position...but the battery was dying, so it emitted this tone instead of the usual loud blast. I didn't care how stupid I felt calling back maintenance to tell them to cancel the emergency call. All I cared was that I wasn't having a hearing problem and I was thankful to God.

Today we had some thunderstorms. After all my running around was done, I took a nap as I watched the storm outside my window. Then the weather moved on and we had a beautiful sunny afternoon.

It was a most wonderful day.

No comments: