Saturday, May 24, 2008

Rewound Weekend

A reminder to all my fellow radiophiles, pop culture fans and top 40 radio aficionados: This weekend is Memorial Day weekend, so on Monday it's time for an annual tradition I look forward to every year (except for one year, where I completely spazzed and forgot about it). I skip the picnics and stay close by my computer for WABC Rewound, where now talk station WABC in New York goes into its archives for 12 hours and plays some of the airchecks of its popular djs of the 60s and 70s. It's a virtual time machine where you can relive the glory days of one of top 40 radio's greatest stations and your younger years (for you under 40 folks, a fascinating look at how much fun radio was decades ago). The other half of the fun is joining in and reading the posts from other listeners on the WABC Rewound message board. It all wraps up with a call in talk segment featuring past WABC personalities.

One addition this year is an hour of airchecks from one of WABC's current lineup, Don Imus, who ruled the airwaves as a dj at WNBC in New York in the early-mid 70s'. I listened to him while I was in high school and college, so I am looking forward to his segment...should bring back some fun memories for me.

Here's where to join in the fun:
WABC Musicradio 77 tribute site
WABC Rewound info and link to listen live
WABC Rewound Message Board

No comments: