Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Timing Is Everything...

This afternoon I was preparing to meet my realtor and put an offer on a townhome I liked. The mood at work had been somber. A handful of temp staff at the job where I've been on a long term assignment since last July were let go, victims of a slower workload and the economy. Our manager discussed the situation today and when he asked for questions, I said "I'm planning on putting an offer on a townhouse today. Should I do it?"

The answer came toward the end of the day. No. There was another cut to be made. I was not surprised. Frankly, I haven't had much to do for the past couple of weeks. Three crushed co-workers walked me out to my car and I did my best to keep their spirits up. I was calm and accepting. This was, after all, a temporary assignment and it had to end eventually...but, we all had bonded as if we'd been working together for years. Yet, if I had learned anything at my weekend at the Middle Tennessee Women's Retreat, it was that we find treasures in our present darkness. God doesn't waste our pain or misfortune--He uses it. (I also realized at the retreat there are people who survived much worse than the end of a beloved job.)
The love and support I got from the people where I worked as I left is the legacy I leave behind in that position. I couldn't ask for much more than that.

I will be relieved, though, to have a respite from the gas-guzzling long (well, to me) commute, having to get out the door at 6 am in order to make a left turn out of my complex and spend an hour at the gym to avoid the horrid traffic. Plus, God knew and I knew that if I were going to make a move happen if I bought a place now, I would really have to scramble to prepare for it. Now I don't have to.

I'm looking forward to seeing what God has in store for me next. I hope to take a little break first. I've got some books to read and this place needs a good cleaning.

No comments: