Monday, May 05, 2008

Middle Tennessee Women's Retreat

This past weekend was the aforementioned Middle Tennessee Women's Retreat, led by gospel singer Ann Downing who I first came to hear of on the Gaither videos. I've been one of her "FANNtastics" for years now. She sought me out to come to this event but I originally said no due to finances. It was desirable to stay at the host hotel, but with trying to prepare to buy a home, that wasn't an expense I could justify. Well, Ann so graciously provided scholarship funds so I could be there.

I roomed with an extraordinary woman, Kay, who is 83 but looked and had the outlook of someone at least 20 years younger. I learned much from her about living life fully in later years, and most certainly in the present. She reminded me a lot of my grandmother, one of my role models. If she were still with us, she'd probably be much like Kay.

I said in my last entry that perhaps the reason it was important for me to be there was because God must have a message for me. Well, he did. But I'm not going to share it here...it will be part of an "Encouraging Words" entry or podcast, or maybe both. I met a lot of amazing women, including some who have endured unimaginable hard times, with only the strength of their faith in God to see them through. Amazingly, some of them have found humor in their situations.

It was fun to also meet some of the people from Ann's message board. I must say, I also heard the most Southern accents at that one event than I have anywhere else in Nashville over my first year of living here.

One of my favorite events of the weekend was the musical celebration. We of course had music from Ann. Other musical guests were Southern gospel writer Marty Funderburk and John Starnes, another singer known to Gaither video fans. This guy has a future in comedy--he gave Mark Lowry a run for his money in the humor area as he did a hilarious routine about exploring who he was.

Though it was a women's retreat, I must admit to flirting with a guy for parts of the weekend. His name was Ezra, and he was the ventriloquist puppet half of the duo Gail 'n Ezra. Gail has a magnificent talent of bringing this little fellow to life-- he was so real to all of us. I called him a "hottie" and he loved it.



I am very grateful to Ann, Kay, Sue and all who made this weekend possible for me. It was exactly what I needed.

No comments: