Friday, August 25, 2006

Ten Years Ago...

The things you find when you go digging around all the stuff you stored someplace at home.

I came across a cassette tape of a radio interview I did on KFAI, 10 years ago this month. Time sure flies. I was interviewed on the Local Sound Department, then hosted by Mark Wheat, now one of the top DJs on Minnesota Public Radio's 89.3 The Current. He was kind enough to give a gal trying to bring attention to local musicians a shot in the arm. We talked about my newsletters I had going on at the time and I got to play some songs by local folks I was working with or listening to at the time.

My speaking skills were decidedly pre-Toastmasters at that point (I didn't join a club until two years later), high-pitched in spots, but I at least sounded like I remembered to slow down when gathering my thoughts. Which is a good thing. I tend to stumble on my words when I try to last-minute edit in mid-sentence.

One of the thoughts that came up in our conversation was that we were both doing what we did for the love of it and not for pay. I'm still in that spot and shifted direction a little since then. Mark has of course gone on to well-deserved radio success. Way to go.

It was also interesting to hear how much had changed over 10 years...mentions of venues and events that no longer exists, groups no longer together or artists that haven't been heard from since then. The acoustic scene has always been a revolving door as coffeehouses go. But listening to that show reminded me how exciting a time the early/mid-90s were when I was in my local music promo heyday.. and how grateful I was for all the opportunities which came my way then to promote the artists I believed in.

No comments: