Sunday, September 02, 2007

Different...But OK

We're now into Labor Day weekend as I write this. In St. Paul, the Minnesota State Fair would be just wrapping up. It's the first one I've missed in 18 years. But of course, I have a good excuse since I'm now living in Nashville. Yet, it was still a bit strange not being there. Usually I'd be making my way to the media booths, going to the live broadcasts of the local TV news broadcasts and offering a word of encouragement to the reporters if the opportunity arose. One of my yearly rituals was going to the Morning Show radio broadcast at the Minnesota Public Radio booth. This time, I was there virtually via streaming radio...so at least I didn't miss it entirely.

I must note, however, it dawned on me that I did survive not having my fix of a bucket of french fries, foot long hot dogs and malts from the dairy barn.

The weather has finally cooled here in Nashville, so I took a walk with my IPod phone. Some of the songs I'd listen to as I walked along the Mississppi River path down Shepard Road in St. Paul popped up, and momentarily my mind went back there. But now there are new places and paths to walk. Nashville is home now, I have a sense of place and settlement here. I'm looking forward to discovering even more and building new rituals.

No comments: