Saturday, September 29, 2007

Beatles-A-Rama

I've found a great online station to listen to. It's called Beatles-A-Rama--it plays all Beatles songs, Beatles solo work, outtakes, interview clips, related artists, cover songs and "Beatle-esque" songs by artists that are Beatles-influenced. It will also play "British Invasion" era songs, a touch which I think effectively sets the scene for what it felt like to experience that time period...nostalgic if you're in my age group, and educational if you weren't born yet.

If you are a Beatles fan, it can be addicting. 40 years later, there's something just so comforting about those early Beatles songs. Maybe it's because I was lucky enough to grow up in that era. As a youngster I was swept up in the moptop frenzy, but bottom line I believe the music endures because these guys were great singers, great songwriters and fine musicians.

Listening to this station introduced me to a lot of the solo work I'd never heard. Paul is a pop craftsman, John's is soul-bearing transparency, George has some of the most interesting and introspective work, and Ringo is endearing and entertaining. I've also checked out an artist or two played in the "Beatle-esque" category that impressed me.

Take a listen, but be warned--it may be hard to pull yourself away.

1 comment:

Pat Matthews said...

Wendy, thanks for posting such a glowing review of my station...hope ya'll like it!
Pat Matthews
Beatles-A-Rama!!!