Monday, September 10, 2007

Birthday Weekend

Well, I must say that this birthday has been the best since my 50th, when my co-workers at the time completely covered my desk with 50th birthday paraphrenalia. I had little "50s" coming out of my keyboard for months. My favorite thing, though, was the sign that one of my co-worker's daughter made: Wow, the big 50. I kept that one.

Anywho...this weekend was quite awesome. It started with a dessert get-together with some friends. I got a bunch of cards, little gifts, even one from someone I'd just met that evening who stopped over. One highlight was when two songwriter friends came and showed their musical magic to those friends of mine also new to town or otherwise not part of my musical circle of singer/songwriters.

I had a good long lunch with a friend Sunday and then the icing on the cake: a concert by Gordon Mote and Buddy Greene with Jeff Taylor (a/k/a "Michael Card's twin brother"). The crowd was smaller than expected due to rain, but no matter: their sets were incredible. I snuck in the door while the soundcheck was going on. Most people who hear the end results probably don't realize just how much preparation goes into the technical aspects of the sound. When some level is off, the artists know exactly what's needed to get it right in terms I and my untrained ears haven't a clue about.

Gordon Mote continues to amaze me with the level of his vocal and keyboard talent. Having heard Buddy Greene in a full bluegrass concert (see my Nashville Blend blog for a report) and then switch gears in this gospel themed concert showed me again how impressively versatile this man is. Once again, he was beautifully supported by Jeff.

We were even treated to some special guest singers: Kimberly Mote, Gordon's wife, due with a new baby this month (if this gal ever cuts her own album, she will be very major in the Christian music area--you heard it here first); Wes Hampton of the Gaither Vocal Band who was in the audience with his family (one of the most down to earth persons I've met in the Southern Gospel arena...as are all of those who performed this evening); and former Florida Boys bass Gene McDonald, handling bus duties for Gordon. If that all were not enough, Buddy and the players sang Happy Birthday to me from the stage. Wow. What else could a person ask for.

Man, I love this town.

I also got tons of birthday e-mails, message board posts and my MySpace page is covered with comments. I am not accustomed to such attention, self-celebration having been the norm for me for so many years. I humbly thank you all.

Did I mention I love Nashville??

No comments: