Saturday, June 23, 2007

Saturdays With Mark and Tony-Live



Being that I have some free time these days, I was up to a weekend road trip to Stockbridge, GA for a live taping of Mark Lowry and Tony Campolo's internet video podcast "Saturdays With Mark and Tony". It was held at a warm and friendly little church called the Village Church. Special guest along with Mark and Tony was arranger/producer Paul Johnson, who just finished up Mark's upcoming CD "I Love To Tell the Story", adding some great theological insights to the many topics.

Questions from the audience sparked some of the topics over the 5 hour or so taping. I won't give you complete details because I don't want to be a spoiler and I want you to see the shows when they are aired (and it's hard to keep up when the discussion gets going). But here are some topics you can look forward to:
- Justice and the USA's role in the world
- Full revelation of God in Christ
- How can we integrate the church racially, socially, economically, etc.?
- Why does God not always allow us to use the gifts He gave us?
- Can prayer change God's mind?
- What happens when you die?
There were also specific questions for Mark about certain aspects of his career. Afterward, we celebrated Mark's 49th birthday this weekend.

Tony Campolo amazes me. No matter what subject or question you throw at him, he's able to speak at length about it knowledgably and articulately. I couldn't help but ask him if he's ever been stumped on these occasions, and he told me no--at age 72, he says, he's just about dealt with it all.



If the taping weren't enough, Sunday was the inclusion of Mark and Tony in the Village Church's Sunday morning service. What a thrill it must have been for this sweet church to have these two minister. Mark seemed genuinely touched that a number of people came from outside of Georgia to be there to hear him and Tony. Mark sang the "Heaven medley" and "Unfinished Hymn (Come To Jesus)" (Paul Johnson accompanied Mark on piano for the latter song) and by request, "Mary Did You Know". I'm not sure I can adequately describe Mark's singing. It was beautiful, passionate, emotional. He was so incredible that I had to catch my breath. Tony Campolo gave a typically dynamic sermon that went down so many wonderful roads including prayer, seeing Jesus in the eyes of a homeless person offering a cup of coffee, and the thought that "the King has one more move!"

Update: You can now experience this service on the Village Church's website media page.

It was also a special pleasure to meet and visit with Peggy Campolo, a gentle soul with a strong ministry in her own right.

(As a side note--we headed out quickly to make it to a wonderful closer to this weekend, a concert by LordSong at a Nashville church. Their music and ministry was effective and powerful. Those folks have great hearts. An excellent review of this concert can be found at averyfineline.com . )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy - It was wonderful seeing you again! We made some wonderful memories and I'm sure there will be more to come!

I loved your 'blog' on the tapings, you summed it up perfectly. I can't wait to read more.

Love Ya - Donna