Sunday, January 21, 2007

Farewell Tour Stop: MPR

It's altogether fitting that one of the few stops on my "farewell tour" here would be the place it all started for me. I went to Minnesota Public Radio's 40th anniversary open house. It was the first time that I got to see MPR's new building. It's very high tech and slick, as you might expect.

I got to see a few familiar faces I haven't seen in some time. I've been out of the MPR volunteer loop for many years, so I was surprised that some of those folks remembered who I was. And, finally, I did something which I've been trying to do for many years. I would go the MPR booth at the MN State Fair year after year and fill out the little card that asked if I wanted to do a testimonial. Of course I did. After all, MPR changed my life. No one ever called. Today, I got my big chance. I did a couple of fund raising promos and told a little of my story of how being A Prairie Home Companion fan got me out here. I must say, all of the demo and podcast work seemed to pay off a little--from what I could hear, it sounded pretty good. Someone will have to let me know if it ever airs, I guess.

There were a few MPR personalities scattered about. I had a nice conversation with Cathy Wurzer of Morning Edition (and Almanac). I had to be honest with her and tell her that I watched her more than listened to her, it being she's on opposite my friends Dale and Jim Ed. She is as warm and friendly as her spouse, Erik Eskola, who I met many years before at the State Fair. I brought up my podcast, as she's thinking of doing her own, and left her my card. Maybe she will get a chance to listen. That'll be cool.

Over at the Fitzgerald Theater, Dale and Jim Ed did a couple of routines and hosted some great musical sets by the Auto Body Experience (a witty band with solid musicianship) and the always fine to listen to Becky Schlegel.

All in all, a pleasant nostalgic afternoon which gave me the sense that I had come full circle.

No comments: