Sunday, May 21, 2006

Gaither Homecoming - Minneapolis

A few notes from last night's Gaither Homecoming concert at the Target Center (non-Gaither.com version with personal asides edited):

I worked Gordon Mote's table so I missed the beginning and the end of the show. Otherwise, I thought there were subtle changes but not a drastic difference in the shows we've had at the Target Center. Ivan Parker was the only "regular" missing from our lineup. The cues for those of us who work tables are the same: two songs into the GVB set and "Because He Lives", it's back to work.

I do like the new visuals they had at the concert--added a nice effect to many songs.I didn't get to meet new GVB tenor Wes Hampton, but he did shake my hand as he came offstage at one point.

Gordon's table moved a lot of product, but I was disappointed to not have a chance to say hi to him. Because the Gaither Vocal Band played last before intermission, he would not have time to come up and be at the table before he'd have to return again. But, he sure fills the piano role well, as I knew he would. The crowd loved him.

Rory, the sound guy doing comic relief, was funny. Thing with him is he doesn't have to say much--his expressions say it all.

The Anthony Burger tribute was sadly difficult, but nicely done.

I was surprised at the number of folks around me who didn't know the "Eastern Sky" routine and that you stand at the "oh Halleluia" parts. We do air the videos here, after all. Also didn't see folks who had Gaither.com laminates or couldn't tell if they were Gaither. com members. I do want to thank Michelle (cornerstone) and JanRae who stopped by to say hi--it was lovely to meet you both, and just one of my friends, Marti, got in a quick hug. Those who did not stop by, you know who you are.

I was in front row, but it wasn't the best seat. It was in between cables and speakers. The Target Center sent me to the wrong section (they had two labeled the same, I think), so the seat I thought I had was much better, unfortunately. My pictures were some of the worst ever, none suitable for sharing.

Conclusions and other observations:
- My new glasses are lousy for night driving. Once again, I got lost on the way home. My one advantage of having lived in Minneapolis once is I can at least find my way to a key point eventually and go from there.
- My camera needs to be retired.
- Target Center needs to not label the floor sections to confuse people
-Those two young fellows in Signature Sound, Doug and Ryan, changed into t-shirts after the show and worked their table blending in as if they were one of us volunteers. I was impressed.
-Once again, close but no cigar--no dancing with Jessy Dixon. Maybe one day.

No comments: