Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Another Radio Goodbye...

This week, as I noted previously, we prepared to say a goodbye to the Morning Show on Minnesota Public Radio as we knew it. I cried through the farewell show with listeners from far and wide...not just those in the Fitzgerald Theater audience, or my former fellow Minnesotans, but around the country and around the world. Truly amazing but not surprising, and well deserved.

But with the cancellation news came some healing for our hearts later on, as Dale Connelly will continue the tradition and spirit of the show with a new streaming web and HD radio venture at MPR called Radio Heartland. The people spoke loudly and were rewarded. Welcome to your new home, my friend.

I would be remiss, though, to not make note of the fact that also last week in the Twin Cities, another iconic radio show was lost to us. My dear friend TD Mischke was let go from his long time show at KSTP-AM. The firing happened one day after Tommy's successful CD release party. Many of us are still scratching our heads. The outpouring of support's been emotional and well it should be. His show's been recognized as one of radio's most creative and original and has a loyal fan base.

But maybe, like me, sometimes it's time to "leave home". With it comes a chance to flourish in a new setting and become something personally and creatively you might never have if you had stayed. It happened for me, and I pray the same for Dale and Tommy...I'm sure it will.

No comments: