Sunday, July 15, 2007

More oldies, more often

It's been great hearing WCBS-FM back on the air in New York City (via webstream for me, of course), and even better reading the comments by listeners from all over the place on the message boards. The outpouring of support, and emotions, from folks is really something to behold. If people thought radio was something to take for granted and doesn't have the ability to touch the listeners' souls, these posts will prove otherwise.

But I must say, also on the dial in New York is a great show on Saturday night that I never had a chance to listen to until last night. I know these things are around, but I always have to be reminded to actually get in and listen. WABC, one of the great classic top 40 stations of all time in its heyday, sets aside its now talk format on Saturday nights for a Saturday Night Oldies show hosted by Mark Simone, a DJ I also listened to for many years. It will actually serve as a complement to CBS-FM, as it plays songs that fall outside of CBS' 60s-80s format. Anyhow, last night the guest was the great Dan Ingram. His wit was as quick as ever, and the audience was clearly thrilled to hear him again.

It's been a great week. The spaghetti days end on Monday as I take on a new long term temp assignment which should be interesting. But I sure was glad to be freed up last Thursday and Friday to hear radio history happen.

No comments: