Thursday, May 17, 2007

Think I'm Giving Up Walking

Today I took a walk at lunch to try to get to the post office. Well, I tried to walk, anyway. But, I ended up running. Running across streets, because you can't walk without risking getting hit, and dodging cars so you don't get bumped along the road by cars because there are no sidewalks in most of these spots.

Being a pedestrian in Nashville is as tricky for me as driving in traffic. I have never seen a city that is so car-oriented. No walk up ATMs at the banks...have to do business from your car. Also, I tried out a Sonic drive in--on foot. It took a few minutes for me to figure out that you can place an order if you walk up, so long as you're willing to eat outside if you stay. Otherwise, you drive up and order from your car. The burger was very good.

And yes, people have told me they go only a block or so for lunch by car...'cause I guess you can't do it on foot. I tried that and cheated death and injury a few times. So, I'm considering biting the bullet and doing the same. Thus, so much for losing weight from walking.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wendy, please don't give up walking. the more people we get walking, the more visible we become and the more credit we gain. check out www.walkbikenashville.org. we work to create a more walkable, bikeable, livable nashville. it sounds like something you might support.

walk on,
shannon