Friday, December 08, 2006

Nashville Day 1: Comin' To Your City

Ordinarily, sitting at the gate for my flight and wondering where the heck the plane or the gate attendant is a short time before the flight was scheduled is stressful for me. But today, there was a little pleasant distraction. I saw a tall fellow in a black hat sit in the row behind me at the gate and I thought "hmm, he looks a lot like Cowboy Troy." Not 10 minutes after that who arrives but one of country music's most successful songwriters today: John Rich, half of Big and Rich. So that answered the Cowboy Troy question. He was the real deal. Minutes later, the other half, Big Kenny, sits a couple of rows back working his laptop.

This was, after all, a flight to Nashville. I guess you do have a shot of seeing famous folks.

Now my sister will probably think I am completely insane when I tell you that, even though these guys are among my big favorites in country music these days, no, I did not approach them or ask for an autograph at the gate. I've been around musicians so long that I know that this was a time when they need their space to work their phone calls, computers or whatever. Besides, no one else was doing it. I just thought it was pretty cool that they were on the same flight. I do hope it did not mean that I missed them at some gig in MN--hopefully they were here just connecting through. When my friend picked me up, I did see Cowboy Troy again as we were walking to baggage--so I did quickly say "hey I love your music", and he said thank you.

Tonight's event was, of course, the Gaither Homecoming concert in Nashville. It was a terrific show. I won't give a detailed song by song rundown but just give you some of my personal highlights.
-Because I worked tables at the last couple of Homecoming shows I missed the "Lean On Me" opener, so it was really nice to see this time with the artists walking among the crowd. Our gang managed to get Mark's attention so he came over when he spotted us.
-Lynda Randle blew the roof off the place with her version of "Eye Is On the Sparrow", as did Sonya and the Isaacs on "It Is Well". They were in the spirit on those.
-I really liked Russ Taff's version of "What A Wonderful World."
-Showing again what super fine singers they are (as well as two of the nicest people EVER), Reggie and Ladye Love Smith were terrific in a Christmas medley.
- Ivan Parker, Ben Speer and Jeff and Sheri did their songs from the latest Christmas videos.
-Both the Vocal Band and Signature Sound were on their game last night. They picked a winner when they picked Wes Hampton. He did an excellent job with "O Holy Night".
- Bill seemed to be doing well, and it was very nice to see Gloria and Kevin Williams.
- Actually there was relatively little interaction between Mark and Bill compared to in the past, but he got his zingers in there (Rory Rigdon did most of the usual humor, complete with priceless expression). But Mark was in good spirits and did "Whatcha Need", the Piper story, I Call Him Lord with Charlotte Ritchie and Becky Bowmann, and of course the Mary raising Jesus story leading up to "Mary Did You Know." Which leads me to a slight objection. Bill and the Vocal Band do their thing at the end of "I'll Tell It Whereever I Go" and Bill says "eat your heart out Mark Lowry". Sorry Bill. I don't think Mark has to eat his heart out for anything. He is still the greatest male singer I've ever heard and he proves it by me with every rendition of "Mary".
- Gordon Mote was terrific and I spotted him and his wife Kimberly on the way out. I got to tell Kimberly that she needs to record an album. She is as strong a vocalist as any I've heard of in my opinion and I believe if she releases a project she could be very major in the business. Gordon hearily agreed.

So a long but lovely day for me. Another day in Nashville for me Saturday then it's on to Asheville and Mark Lowry's Senior Trip on Sunday.

No comments: