Sunday, December 10, 2006

Mark Lowry's Senior Trip- Asheville Day 1

The journey to this first night concert didn't go in the smoothest way. We were re-routed an hour or so on our way to the Grove Park Inn due to a massive tractor-trailer accident. When I got to the hotel, they didn't have my ticket package for me. I am not the person to skip--not getting something when others got theirs freaks me out (it goes back to childhood). Then I could not get back into my room and there was a couple outside that claimed it was supposed to be their room.

But it all got resolved, and when the concert doors opened, none of that mattered.

Here's the greatest thing about Senior Trip. It's not just a concert or getting to hear the best male singer. It's a time of building friendships and camaraderie. I'm not the only one who noticed that after the Gaylord Senior Trip. Mark mentioned this from the stage as well and encouraged the bonding among us audience members (and yes, that happened from the get go). I can testify to Mark's hope that lasting and life-impacting friendships come about on this occasion, but I'll elaborate more on that at a later time...

On to the music:
Mark was incredible on "Let There Be Peace on Earth". One of the most consistent musical acts around, LordSong, were also in great form. Stan Whitmire was on the injured list this time, sporting a broken foot having hit a sinkhole on the beach, but it didn't hurt his playing any.

We heard from a talented new act, Austin's Bridge. Barbara Fairchild was back with us again and told us a funny story about getting in the wrong car after pumping gas--with a passenger who appeared to hardly notice.

So why were people laughing during the Mike Bowling Group's set? When they performed the title song from their CD "Graceland", "Elvis" entered the building. That would be Mark, in Elvis specs and sneer.

The angel has made a triumphant return. Janet Paschal gave a wonderful performance and testimony, and is as ever beautiful inside and out (though Mark felt her stilletto heels were "not saved").

Brian Free and Assurance rocked the house in their extended set, with a rousing finale singing the praises of King Jesus.

(By the way...I did not read Mark's Ramblings on the concert before I wrote this. He must have been writing his the same time I was. Great minds think alike!) :)

No comments: