Sunday, December 19, 2010

Where Have I Been This Year?

I realized it's been a year since I wrote anything in this blog. I guess for the most part I've been too busy to ponder. Anyhow, I've always done some year-end recap around the holidays, so here's what's been happening for me this year.

At the end of last year I stepped down from my "Never Too Old" radio show and joined T.J. Kirby as a sidekick on "T.J. and Company". It's been quite the experience. T.J. has always been a radio mentor to me, so I have learned a lot in the process...most of all that a supporting role is what I am most comfortable with. In addition to being on air, I also do the "administrivia" for the show. I created and maintain our website (www.tjandcompanyradio.com ), I write our show blog and make sure guests and stations get MP3s of our show. Yes, we are syndicated as well with at this writing six stations that also broadcast our show...we like to call it the "see ya on the radio network." We've had some great guests on our show, ranging from music legends such as Lenny Welch, Beverly Bremers and Alan O'Day, to some up and coming talent such as Runaway Home, Calico Trail, Brittany Allyn and many others. Another exciting thing that happened for us this year is being nominated in two categories for the 2010 Nashville AIR awards. There is more to come in the next year, so stay tuned.

In March, I got back to work long-term. An agency out of North Carolina somehow got hold of my resume and offered me a temporary position in the Brentwood area. It was supposed to be for a few months, but here I am coming up on a year. My position will be up in February and then it will be time to look for work again.

I thought turning 55 was going to be positive, with maybe even some senior discounts out there. But around this time, I began going through something that had pretty much eluded me: health problems. I started having leg and hip pain and began to limp. After waiting a while to see if this would just go away just like every other health problem I had did, I recently bit the bullet and went to a chiropractor. I found out that my spine had rotated a little and it put my right hip out of alignment. So we are at the beginning right now of attacking this problem. Chronic pain is not fun. It's been the worst ordeal I've been through. It's forced me to put every ounce of energy to get through my job each day and curtail my trips to writer's nights. So that is why you haven't seen much of me, my songwriter friends. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. But I'll be back.

So that's my year. I hope you had a good one. Here's to you in 2011.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My dear....You sure are a busy one. I am so proud that you followed your dream and are doing things you love.
I don't think I will make it to Nash in when PHC comes this spring but let me know if you want a couple tickets. I hope as quick as this pain came upon you it takes leave early 2011. Chiropractoring takes a bit of time to click but if you feel confident they know what they are dealing with and want to work on you, go for it. You can certainly check out the doctor at the same time just for any assurances. Blessings to you this 2011.