Monday, November 12, 2007

Baptism

Yesterday I was baptized as an adult, with many wonderful new friends from my church looking on and one dear musician friend who offered me the gift of her voice. I'll let you read her account of it here: http://allisonlynn.blogspot.com/

I was baptized as a child. I was approached about baptism as an adult when I joined my church here. I thought it would be a great idea to do it to symbolize where I really am now in my faith. I had the honor of being baptized by Pastor Stan Mitchell, who I've written about in other pieces on this website--so it was meaningful to me to have him be a part of this.

Allison's simple acoustic rendition of "Jesus Loves Me" set the scene for us all beautifully. Many other musical images came to my mind regarding baptism: the scene from "O Brother Where Art Thou?" with the song "Down In the River To Pray", Trent Tomlinson's video for "One Wing In the Fire" and the Randy Travis/Kenny Chesney song "Baptism", which I first heard in the "Touched By An Angel" episode Randy starred in.

The water was warm, and so was the feeling that afternoon.

No comments: