Saturday, October 13, 2007

Music That Soothes...

In my most recent Encouraging Words newsletter, I did a piece about how songs can inspire and express things for us better than words can. Having been through certain chewed up and spit out experiences, in those times I've turned to music to help me sort things out and gain a fresh perspective.

Gospel music is a no-brainer source, naturally. But actually, I find that two other musical types have strong healing properties for me: Bluegrass and early Beatles. Don't ask me why or how...I can't quite put my finger on it. I just know that listening to both has a calming and soothing effect on me.

As for artists, one in particular seems to have a way of speaking down into my soul in rough patches: Rob Thomas. No matter what I'm dealing with, if I'm listening to Rob's songs, it just seems like he "gets it". Again, I'm not sure why, either...something about his voice or his lyrics, in an abstract way, that says he's been there and just nails it.

Go here for the list of my 5 most inspirational and encouraging songs.

No comments: