Saturday, June 10, 2006

"Prairie Home Companion" movie

I have been eagerly awaiting the Robert Altman "A Prairie Home Companion" movie release. I've been a fan of the show for over 20 years and you could say it impacted my life, since it was what made me take a look at MN as a place to live. The rest was history and you can read that at the Radio Regulars portion of my website.

So, I got to see the movie this weekend. It was just wonderful and it went way too fast. It was very funny and entertaining, and I felt it captured the essence of the show, save for a few changed details (I didn't miss the monologue...I'm a fan of the music primarily). At first, I was skeptical of the hoopla that surrounded the various actors who participated (particularly Lindsay Lohan). But I must say, I thought they were all excellent (even Lindsay). Meryl Streep also sings well. Kudos to Altman for featuring Sue Scott and Tim Russell in prominent roles, even though their usual PHC show acting roles weren't reprised in the film. They are great talents who deserved their chance to shine along with the Hollywood folk.

The one thing I am most pleased about with this film is the fact that the regular musicians on the show are getting major exposure. Another nod is due to Altman for keeping this real rather than using actors as musicians or getting current chart-toppers. I'm very proud of and happy for all the folks like Jeralyn Steele, Prudence Johnson, Robin and Linda Williams, Butch Thompson, Peter Ostroushko (and others you'll see in the background), and most especially the Guy's All Star Shoe Band (can you say Oscar nomination for Rich Dworsky for original score? Why not!). I hope they all get a career bump on this similar to what "O Brother Where Art Thou" did for its musicians, because they are so deserving.

So, go see it for yourself, and enjoy.

No comments: