Saturday, February 18, 2006

A very successful day!

Ever have one of those days when everything actually works? I must say, today turned out to be one of those.

I did not look forward to going out in -25 wind chill to my local Firestone at 7 a.m. to get my car brakes checked out. My brake light came on last week and I was prepared to have my brakes replaced on my 10 year old car (The one with the 15,000 miles. Yes, you read that right.). I thought that would take more than an hour, so I would either have to bus or walk to my haircut appointment about 10 minutes away at 8 a.m. Well, they decided a little brake fluid would do the trick because my brakes weren't worn enough to warrant replacement. So I saved $200 and drove to my hair appointment.

I got to the hairdresser and got my hair cut in a spiky hair style. I've been working up nerve to do this for weeks. It looks like the top of a little pineapple--kinda cute.

My next stop on my agenda was to get new eyeglasses. I decided it was high time for my next eye exam, plus I wanted more "chic" frames to go with the new 'do. I waited about 45 minutes for the eye doctor to show up, and read a Readers' Digest issue while I waited. How apropos for it to have an article which says "your eye doctor can tell by looking in your eyes if you might have diabetes, high blood pressure or cancer". I started to have second thoughts about this whole thing. I was nervous enough because the last time I was checked, my right eye pressure was slightly elevated. But then the doctor showed up, so I decided to go through with it.

Everything checked out well, I needed only a slight adjustment to my prescription and I got a great deal on glasses. Even better news was the right eye pressure was normal. I had that higher reading about three years ago when my eating/exercise habits were less disciplined. I attribute this improvement to cleaning up my act, eating and exercising better and taking a supplement with lutein which promotes eye health.

That appointment got done just in time for lunch...after which I got a parking space close enough to the upscale grocery store. I decided to shop there this week now that I had some extra bling. I didn't deviate much from my usual grocery order and it turned out not much more expensive than Rainbow or Cub (our discount grocery stores).

It was a very successful day!

No comments: