Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Honesty Is The Best Policy

This morning I went out to pick up a few groceries but needed to first stop at my bank's ATM. I pulled behind someone who seemed to be taking a little time and pressing a lot of buttons. The person drove off, and I pulled up to the window. As I was about to insert my card, a stack of bills spit out with a receipt. It looked like it might have been about $200 or so--I didn't even count it. I think this person ahead of me probably thought the transaction didn't work the first time, tried it again and unknowingly made a double withdrawal. But I didn't think twice about what to do. I pulled around to the bank entrance and brought the money and receipt inside, explaining what happened and asked if they could track the customer down.

All the people at the bank told me how sweet and nice I was to have done what I did. Are you kidding me? I wouldn't have thought of doing anything else. I wouldn't have considered keeping the money--even in my situation of being out of work for so long. I also answer to God. It's someone else's money and I know had it been me realizing I might have lost the cash, I would have been in a panic. I would hate to think anyone would have done otherwise.

So I drove back through to the ATM and did my own paltry withdrawal. I lingered for a second to make sure nothing extra was going to spit out. :)

1 comment:

Nancy Moran said...

You will be GREATLY rewarded for this, Wendy! It may not be today. It may not be this week. But you WILL be rewarded a hundred times over for your honestly and good character. :-)

Have a wonderful day!