Thursday, February 21, 2008

Opry Classics

Well, I am having a blast. A few weeks ago I happened upon a Time-Life TV commercial that Marty Stuart was hosting (that alone would make me take notice). He was introducing a series of 8 DVDs made up of clips from old Grand Ole Opry based and other TV shows of the 60s and 70s, featuring just about any classic artist you can imagine. Being the serious collector of old TV musical clips and shows that I am, I flew online immediately and ordered the set, trusting that my tax refund would cover the cost.

Indeed, this set is a collector's dream. I've been wondering for years where those clips of Patsy Cline, where she's singing "Crazy" and other songs and wearing the pretty flowered dress I saw at the Opry Museum, came from. The answer is The Pet Milk Grand Ole Opry program and there's lots of clips from that show and others. Another thing I love about this collection is that whereever possible, they have the broadcast dates of the shows...I like knowing that sort of trivia. And oh yeah, Marty introduces each DVD. Plus, there are some bonus artist interviews with Little Jimmy Dickens, JimEd Brown, the late Porter Wagoner and others reminiscing about their Opry memories.

Now, if only they'd release some of the full episodes of these old programs (yeah, I know, I want it all)...

No comments: