Saturday, December 22, 2007

Season's Greetings...

Having done my Christmas celebrating with friends and work family, I'm getting ready to enjoy a couple of days off from driving and the rush hour mess here in Nashville. My Christmas gift happened in April this year, when I moved into town. I'm just happy to be living here and grateful the adjustment to a new home went smoothly on so many fronts.

I'm thinking about the first Christmas I had in Minnesota 18 years ago. Things were especially challenging and I decided it wasn't a good time to fly back East for the holidays. The weather was kind of gray and depressing (well, it actually is here now, too, but it's about 40 degrees milder, so what the hey). A lift would have been good. I was volunteering for a Minnesota Public Radio production at the time, and out of the blue, the host of the show called me to say hi. It was totally unexpected, and I didn't even know he had my phone number. It was such a sweet gesture, and exactly what I needed. Dan, whereever you are, your kindness has never been forgotten after all these years.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone. May you celebrate in a way that suits you and not what someone else tells you how you are supposed to.

No comments: